Hi! My name is Monica Beatrice Welburn and I am a blogger, occasional presenter, and style lover.
The Elgin Avenue is named after a magnificent long road, in the area of London which I was lucky enough to call home for four years. I now live in a beautiful nook of the English countryside, a stone's throw away from London, where I can still get the perfect extra hot, dry, cappuccino, but with a little extra room to roam.
This is my space for sharing my personal style, beauty, love of interiors, travel and much more.
Hey guys! I hope you’ve all been having a great week so far.
This morning I read this great post by Lucy and felt inspired to get stuff DONE today. I generally consider myself a proactive person; however times of procrastination DO strike, especially on areas of work I’m not (yet) confident in – like filming and editing videos for a YouTube channel!
YouTube channel?! Yep – it’s coming!
One of the projects I have had in the pipeline for a while is getting my YouTube channel up and running. I am SO excited for this platform, and I can’t wait to share the videos I have planned with you all.
Today I filmed my first ever tutorial; and I’ll be filming a few more over the next couple of weeks before I launch my YouTube channel officially. I want you guys to have a few vids to peruse from day dot!
Today being my first ever filming session I’ve had a few blips already: I’ve run my camera battery flat, done a strange Stra Trek-esque wave, and cut off filming half way through a tutorial . . . so evidently I have a lot to learn!
As an introduction to my new YouTube channel I am opening up the floor to YOU to ask me any questions you may have – what you ask is totally up to you! Perhaps you have a question about makeup, how to style an item in your wardrobe or how I got into blogging – I’ll endeavour to answer!
You can ask me questions in the comment section of my blog below, or on social media: Twitter, Instagram, or simply drop me an email!
YouTube feels like a natural fit for connecting with you guys on another platform, and hopefully a way to develop my skills on camera.
I can’t wait to share The Elgin Avenue’s first YouTube videos with you! Watch this space.
OK now over to you, what would you like to ask me?
Love, Monica x
P.S. These photos are oldies from a trip to Paris with Comptoir des Cotonniers last year. I still love looking over them – it makes me long for a mini break so bad!
Excuse the digression, but today I want to start this post with you a little ‘blogger pep talk’ before we get into Spring Things (which btw are making me SO excited!).
Today Ols and I got hit by a whack of life admin – things we needed to attend to immediately, and hadn’t predicted at all.
I couldn’t help but panicking – “what about today’s post?!”
Sometimes (rarely) I am totally on top of my scheduling (I feel like a boss when I am) and other times (most of the time) I write day to day which leaves little wiggle room for the aforementioned unplanned life antics.
Whilst this made me panic today, I realised that there is something I CAN do – and that’s learn from this blip.
One thing I want to work on this year is getting my posting schedule down. There are so many great resources out there for bloggers – I need to put into practice what I am reading – these peeps know what they are talking about!
If you too are a blogger, or you work from home or are currently just working your *ss off doing something you love then I just wanted to reaffirm NOT to let the little stumbles get you down! Cliché yes but it’s how you deal with challenges and setbacks that makes you stronger and wiser for the future.
So next time you have a blip, get up, brush yourself off, LEARN and get going!
I DID manage to start a post just before LIFE antics took over, and it looked like this:
Five Spring Things I’m looking forward to!
Because Spring is nearly here, and I cannot wait for all of the exciting new season promise it holds!
So without further ado . . .
1. Duck & Dry hair treatment | My hair is slowly regaining its softness after a bout of Wintery dry locks; I am excited to try one of Duck & Dry’s restorative treatments. At £8 a pop they seem like a good investment for rejuvenating hair in time for Spring!
2. Isabel Marant at The Outnet | Isabel Marant embodies everything chic, nonchalant and sexy about Spring/Summer; the price point on most of the pieces escapes my grasp, however The Outnet (i.e. the holy grail of all discount designer sites) has just launched a huge sale of Marant pieces; I’m after these jeans.
3. DIY Key Tassels | I’ve been so consumed with organising, reshuffleing and Spring cleaning our flat that I’ve completely dropped fun DIY projects to the wayside. I adore this DIY Key Tassel – it would make a great gift! One of my plans for this weekend is to have some creative time to myself.
4. Spring Style | I love the luxury of layering in Winter as much as the next person; but I am SO ready for an update for Spring! I’ll be detailing some easy Spring Style updates next week on the blog, but in the mean time I’ve got my heart set on this sweet jacket from River Island.
5. Everything Chloé | The world (quite rightly) appears to have fallen in love with Chloé again. Not that the adoration had ever gone per se, but the flame is burning bright this season. I first got reacquainted with Chloé following this post by Happily Grey introducing the newest Chloé bag style – Drew. I was a goner. The lovely team at Monnier Freres have kindly indulged my love and I now have a little Chloé gem all of my own on loan. I’ll be sure to show you guys my little Chloé number in an outfit post soon!
What are you guys looking forward to this Spring? And do you have any tips for keeping your head on straight when LIFE stuff hits you?!
Some days rolling up in a big ball of knitwear and slipping on so-comfy-they-could-be-pyjamas-trousers is EXACTLY what I want to wear.
I can often be found in a rotation of soft grey knitwear and smart joggers/comfy jeans – especially when working from home or running errands.
The best thing about this look is that you can swap the cardigan for a blazer, the skate shoes (out of shot) for a simple heel and you instantly elevate your look into one which you could wear to a nice lunch, or meeting.
For the record I see blue and black and I REALLY can’t understand how it could be seen any other way – super spooky!
Anyhu, this weekend I am attending London Fashion Weekend with my Dad! Trust me – he loves it! And on Sunday I am going to my cousin’s baby’s christening – I can’t wait to see every one and give the little bubba a tonne of cuddles!